Monday, September 5, 2011

I'm Alive and Kickin'!!

I have not written about my life in the past month because, well, I've been depressed with the whole "things I can't do yet since the car accident." I feel over-dramatic even posting this, since it's only whiplash and will get better. Things have been very 'blah' for me---going to the chiropractor, coming home from there, going to work, coming home from work, dogs dogs dogs dogs...well, OK, so the dog part is never 'blah' but the rest is. So I have not wanted to bore anyone with that.
But things are looking up! I recently ran my first 5k since the accident--the Columbus Humane Society's Defend Your Friend 5K (OK, it was really the same day as my last post!) to benefit the Cruelty Investigations Unit. I think there were about 300 people there, and a bunch of dogs. It was about 90 degrees out with ridiculous humidity--at one point I was following a woman that was carrying her collie and running because it was too hot for the dog!
Sweaty and dying at the end of the race! I hate how red I get!

I'll be honest, I was mostly miserable because of the heat, and because of a lot of tightness in my right hip (I think that because my back's still a little off, my muscles are working in ways they haven't had to), and I ended up finishing at 43:00 exactly, which I was happy with (mostly because it was DONE and there was ice-cold water at the end). One really cool thing about this one was that it was an out-and-back, and there were 2 water tables, so really it ended up being 4, which was great with the heat. Since then, I have been going to the gym and running after work every couple of days or at home on the treadmill.
Day 1 workout

Day 2 workout

I also went to visit a bunch of the girls I went to college with at the annual get-together--we did not get pictures this year, so here is a picture of Bella, very proud of herself after busting a kid's float-ring:

"Look Mom, I killed it!!"
While visiting the girls, I took one of the dogs for a 2 mile run, and I didn't time it, but I know we went faster than normal for me--he was just having so much fun, I didn't want to slow down unless I had to! So overall, I feel like I'm getting back into the swing of things.
And two weeks from now, I will be running a 5k with my older brother and his wife to kick off the Annual Family Vacation at Myrtle Beach. This will be my first time running with them (or anyone, for that matter!) and I am super-excited! I'm working on catching up with everyone's blogs too!!


--Marge

No comments:

Post a Comment