Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Planning for my 1st 5k

My week in workout:
Sunday--1.5 miles on treadmill
Monday--rest
Tuesday--1.5 mile walk with Bella and Abby
Today--1.15 miles on the treadmill--I stopped at 17 minutes because I felt like I was going to throw up, but my body and mind are energized despite the stomach issues!
Me after today's run!

I also decided to get some time off work later in the month so I can RUN MY 1ST 5K!!!! 
So I will be running in the PetPromise Rescue Run, trying to raise money for homeless animals on May 28th in Columbus Ohio!!! In case you have any extra money (lol) to donate, go here to my donation page! I am getting so excited for this and I think signing up will keep me motivated to run longer and smarter. My mini goal with the 5k is to run 3.1 miles at least twice before the race, so I need to get on it. I feel good about choosing a charity run, especially one that benefits animals. It happens one week before The Warrior Dash and I didn't want that to be my first official run. So within the next month, I will be running two races and finishing both!!
I also splurged on myself this week: I ordered 4 books from Amazon.com. I am *patiently* awaiting their arrival. Here's what I ordered:
  • Run: The Mind-Body Method of Running by Matt Fitzgerald
  • Nancy Clark's Food Guide for New Runners: Getting it Right From the Start by Nancy Clark
  • The Courage to Start:  A Guide to Running for Your Life by John "The Penguin" Bingham
  • The Athlete's Palate Cookbook
 Has anyone read these books? I'm looking forward to finding out about nutrition changes I can make (and I love a good cookbook!) and other ways to tweak what I'm doing to make whatever improvements I can.
So I'm curious: What is one thing you wish you would have known when starting running?
I wish I would have known that everyone has bad days with their runs--when I started in December with Couch to 5k, I thought that every day should be better than the ones before. I held myself to a very high standard, and beat myself up if I didn't live up to it. Reading other blogs and seeing that you amazing people are so positive and supportive of just getting out there made me cut myself some slack, and I think I enjoy it more now! So, thanks everyone!

5 comments:

  1. How awesome--2 races lined up!
    I wish I had known how important rest days are. I loved running so much I wanted to do it every day--not a good plan! I make sure to incorporate days of rest now, much better.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic book ideas! I always need more lol

    I am working on Run: The Mind-Body Method of Running by Matt Fitzgerald now. It is interesting but I am not sure I am digesting all of it lol

    I have to say I am with you, I wish I had known about the bad days in the beginning to lol :) I don't think it is something anyone can prepare you for until you experience it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhhhhh! your first 5k!! that is so awesome! I am so excited for you...that will be such an awesome accomplishment :)

    I love that Matt Fitzgerald book but it is a tough read if you are not into the technical aspects of running by feel...but being a therapist-in-training...i could totally relate! given your work i am hoping that you will love it as well! it is my favorite and I refer to it often!

    When i started running I wish i would have better understood or believed the importance of running the way that is best for your body rather than running the miles everyone else is running or speed that everyone else is running. I also wish I realized that it is okay to take rest days if I just need them. My body will appreciate it and I will be more refreshed tomorrow!

    again so excited for the race! update us on those other books as well because I have not heard of them! and what a great cause for the race! so fun! yayyyyyy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for your first 5k!! I am beyond excited for you and what an amazing cause you are supporting. You are so amazing and I am so glad I found your blog.

    When I first started running I wish I would have known that you don't have to run your hardest everytime you go out and run and that is okay to run at a comfortable pace. I also wish I would have known about Glide! :) I chaffed like crazy when I first started running.

    ReplyDelete