Monday, May 23, 2011

Random Monday and a Long Run

I've been having "stomach issues" for the past couple of weeks off and on, and it has really taken a toll on my running. I have been trying to follow the "above the neck illness=go for it, below the neck=back off" workout advice, which has really meant "no running." I worried I'd get dehydrated or end up having an explosive issue, so I just didn't. I had actually planned to get off work early last Friday so I could go run along the Hocking River in Athens, but it wasn't in the cards--I ended up having to work my normal 12 hours, so I didn't get a run in. Then I was sick over the weekend, so no running there either.

I walked the dogs about 2 miles on Sunday and did a huge amount of yard work, so I got my workouts in.
 I believe there might be a gun show somewhere?? hahaha...
In case there was any doubt about my poor photography ability (the cellphone doesn't take great pics!!)

So today I decided to get off work early (to make up for Friday's fiasco) and run along the river like I'd been planning. The only bad thing was that it was hot as hell (80+) and the sun was beating down--usually I run on the bike path here which is shaded and much cooler than anywhere else. This run today I thought would kill me, but:
I ran 3.5 miles in 37 minutes!!!! (Some of that was run/walk of course) This is so far the furthest I've run, as well as the fastest. I'm amazed that, despite being unable to get the time in, I am still progressing quickly! (Dailymile says I was running approx. 10:30 minute miles, which really means that I was running much faster since I lost time with the walking)....I was very disappointed that the water fountains on the bike path were not working (I pay taxes there, darn it! All I ask is that the Dog Park is maintained, and the water fountains work!) and I ended up pretty dehydrated (headache, crawly skin, nausea) and couldn't seem to get back on track, so instead I blasted the A/C until I got cold and chugged the water I had in the car.
AND NOW, RANDOM INFO:

When you look at the lovelies here in the bed, I want you to focus on the very small area between the dogs and the wall. See it? That's where I sleep, with the cat on the pillow next to my head...in case you were wondering! It gets pretty crowded sometimes!
Finally, I just wanted to brag about my upcoming race--I have raised $60 so far for homeless animals in Columbus (not counting the money I'll donate after payday). I will be racing proud on Saturday. Also, my older brother and my dad are coming to cheer me on, then I'm meeting up with friends after for a mellow, sit around and hang out day.
I am pretty excited to spend time with my brother--I sent him a Garmin about a month ago, and have not gotten a chance to find out if he uses/likes it. He is supposed to be reviewing it for me and letting me know if I should get one at some point (I'm pretty sure I will, but I want his opinion).
That's the end of the random Monday post.

What is your favorite running accessory and why? 
Mine is actually a belt that I bought a couple weeks ago that I can fit my keys, cellphone/mp3 player, and ID into. I have everything that I might need right there, and don't have to worry about dropping anything!

5 comments:

  1. Um YEAH those guns are serious!!

    I had to laugh at the bed picture...same here!!! and my dog is 7lbs. she takes over the freaking bed and will just make the weirdest noises if I get anywhere close to her "spot" at night. haha.

    I cant believe your race is THIS saturday!! so exciting! you will do amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great run!!! I am thrilled for your upcoming race :)

    Our dog sleeps with us because if we don't let her she gets really sad and mopey. It doesn't happen often but it is usually out of necessity. We tried having the baby sleep with us but he is worse than the dog LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great run! Don't you love it when the conditions aren't great (like the high temps you had!) but it ends up being an amazing run!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job on the run girl! I am so proud of you. P.S. Your guns are rocking. Wowza!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i don't leave home without my hat! i am addicted, they are the best!

    ReplyDelete