Monday, May 30, 2011

My First 5k--Complete!!

On Saturday the 28th, I got up at 6:00am to get ready for my FIRST EVER 5K, The PetPromise Rescue Run in Columbus Ohio. I ended up raising $60 to benefit the organization, which is a rescue that also helps with housing, medical care, and spay/neuter services, as well as education. So I got up early, got dressed, packed some food and headed out.
They had pools all over the place
 I got up there just after 8am and registered, got my "swag bag" and number, and got to look around at the different agencies that were there with information. There were a few different rescue organizations, a bunch of gourmet food/biscuit places, booths selling pet-related crafts/shirts/dog clothes/leashes, etc, and stands giving away water, bagels, and bananas.
Strangely enough, my race number is also my billing number for work....

I want to say there were five to seven hundred people there, and most people had also brought their dogs, so it was really fun to walk around and see what types of dogs were there and watch them interact with each other. I didn't take my dogs because they are super-rowdy, and when I run with Bella she gets too excited and tries to knock me down by body-checking and tackling me.
Big Brother is a running machine--he was "just" doing 10+ miles later that day....
Big Brother and Sister-in-Law came to watch, as well as Dad. It was nice that they came out to support me, and even cooler that sis-in-law got to put some pressure on big brother to get a dog--they've been wanting one but he can be pretty stubborn. I was glad to have some support from the fam...

The dog that was the "Master of Ceremonies" was a white pitbull that had been rescued from a horrible situation, and his ears had been cropped nearly completely off, but he was all smiles in his crown and cape:




Anyway, when the race started, I think I took off just a little fast, but was just feeling the energy and going with it. I didn't realize until the race was over that the start was uphill--and only because I was running downhill to get to the finish. So as I was running the first of the two laps, I saw in the distance two of my friends that came down to surprise me--and they brought a sign!!
I was the only person in the whole race with a sign! Thanks Jason's!!



I ran most of the race with only a few walks and only because it was roasting outside and I felt like I was going to die, and I was the dumbass that wore long pants to run in (no more, I promise you that!) The most important part is that I FINISHED!!!! Here is me running into the chute


My time was 40:17, which I'm happy with for now--I'll be excited to whittle away at the time and increase the distance I can run without walking....And just to prove that I gave it everything I had, here is a picture of my efforts:
The big spot was from where my belt sits, not my ass sweating, I swear....
And Big Brother was so proud of me for finishing my first race!
Afterward, we went for pizza at the closest food joint. I got a shower, then hung out with friends in Columbus for a few hours before coming home and taking the dogs out for a 2 mile walk!

So now, I start looking towards Saturday June 4th, when I get geared up and do The Warrior Dash!

Meanwhile, I hope to be able to catch up with everyone's blogs!!! Congrats to everyone that did or is doing a race this week! Happy Memorial Day!

--Marge

5 comments:

  1. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! CONGRATS!!! I am so so so excited for you! You finished and rocked your first 5k! Loving this post! Glad you got to go out and celebrate after...and I am loving your sign!! Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Congrats on your first 5k! Love that you even had a sign for you, that's such a nice thing for your friend to do!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOOHOOO!! Way to go on finishing your first 5k!! I love that you were the only person with a sign, how fun for you. Good luck on your Warrior Dash

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAYYYY!!! Congratulations on your first 5k. I am so happy to see that a Pit Bull was the Master of Ceremonies. I have a Pittie myself and I love him so much!! It's nice to see them get good recognition. They are such good dogs and dont deserve the bad press and treatment they get. It makes me sad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yayyyy!! Congratulations on your first 5k!! What a huge milestone and I am so proud of you.

    So awesome that you had so much support and such a good experience. I can't wait to hear about your race on the 4th! :)

    ReplyDelete