Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Triple Tangent Tuesday!

I have been MIA for a few days, but no worries--I am back and better than ever! I have been running every other day (or at least trying to run, lol) and trying to get ready for my first 5k in 18 days!!! Getting excited about the race part, but also about the atmosphere--there will be people running with their dogs, and I wish I could take mine, but they are a bit too wild for a big event like that!!

 Woo Hoo!! And now: the tangents!
1. I break easily....About 5 years ago, I was riding my skateboard in the skate park near here (yes, I am THAT cool!!). I skated off and on since high school, and was getting back into it and riding around in the half-pipe. I hit one part "just right" and fell, putting my right arm down to catch myself. I heard this crack, and felt my arm kind of dangling there...This is what happened to my forearm:



I know the ER staff from work, so I got them to take pictures (is my weirdness showing??).  So--double compound fracture...and some mean-looking scars!
2. I have been binge eating salads. Is it even possible to eat too much salad? I have these bowls that hold about 5 cups, and have been using them as salad bowls. My co-workers make fun of me, but I'm convinced that they're secretly jealous that my meals last so long (lol, it takes a long time to eat 5 cups of anything!)
3. My last run was pretty disappointing. My hamstring was so tight that I had to stop and walk, and that's after stretching! I decided to try and pick up a foam roller today so that I could roll out those stubborn back and leg muscles. I went to Wal-Mart (don't laugh, there are no running stores here--the closest is over an hour away) and, despite the website saying they carried them, there were no foam rollers. So I'm SOL until I get to a store--prob. will happen when I go to do the 5k, since there are a few specialty stores in Columbus. I planned to go get a gait analysis to figure out the right shoes to wear, so I can just pick up a roller there. Still, it bummed me out. The cool part was that they actually had a belt for keys/id/etc so I bought that as a consolation prize and will use it the next outside run (Thurs or Fri).


--Marge

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE binge eating salads...haha. i totally did that last night. I did not think I could be sick of salad but I totally was last night. good thing it passed because I am craving salad again :)

    I am SO excited for your 5k! it will be awesome! plus you should definitely get a foam roller...you will LOVE it. I cannot get enough of mine...especially lately :)

    have a fabulous night! hoping that hamstring feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gait analysis will help so much! I walked in and the guy was like dude I saw you walk in and you are wearing completely wrong shoes for running. Since I have had the right shoes, no hip pain and very little knee and shin pain other than regular soreness. EPIC WIN!

    I haven't gotten a foam roller yet either, I am not sure what to do with one but people talk about it so I should probably get one and google a video or something LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those photos made me cringe!

    Check amazon.com. I live out in the sticks too, so I ordered my foam roller from amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in the sticks too. Yay to living in the sticks! I just found your blog. I love blogging :) My co-workers make fun of my salads too! Good luck with your first 5k!! I can't wait to see how you do, keep stretching that hamstring. Injuries suck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh bummer! I left you a comment on here Thursday but the blogger bugger deleted it :( Anyway I also live in the sticks. I have never used a foam roller even though my husband has one. I keep seeing people talk about it, guess I better learn to use it!

    ReplyDelete