Saturday, April 23, 2011

Bike Path Rules

Are there things that one should not do while running on the local bike path? I know, I re-read this and thought "what the heck kinda things? you some kinda weirdo?" I swear, I am some kind of weirdo, just not THAT kind......

 For real, though, I was running on the bike path today (in between downpours--it's super-flooded!) and was listening to music, trucking along, doing my thing, and got a side stitch. I said (not too loudly, I thought) "Oh Jeez, ow" and slowed down to a walk. Just at that moment, a guy and a young girl rode by on bikes. They were looking at me, not so much with a look of concern but more like I was acting suspicious. They rode past and kept turning around and looking at me. I didn't do anything but hold my side and walk, then they were gone. So I guess my questions are these: 1. Should one not wear headphones? Maybe they said something ("get outta my way, slowpoke") or asked something and I didn't hear it. 2. Should I try not to talk to myself out loud while running? Maybe they were shocked by my near-sacrilege (sounds like....Jesus. and so close to Easter. Shame on me.)..


 So the run: I turned on some music and decided to move back to Week 6 of Couch to 5k. I feel like life has been overwhelming and I'm not where I want to be, physically and mentally. So I decided to backtrack and get back onto the "eating as fuel" track--I've been working my butt off and my sleep and eating habits fell to the wayside the past couple of weeks--anyway........I did 5 minute warm up walk, then ran 2 1/2 miles, walking a little but mostly running, then a 3 minute cool-down walk. Overall a pretty good time. And farther than last time. I wonder, though, if I'm making it harder by not having any idea about running form. I think I  draw up my shoulders. Suggestions?



OH, And I won Steph's giveaway at RunOn--I'm super excited about the giftcard to Forever21! Thanks Steph!

1 comment:

  1. awesome that you won the giveaway!!

    and good job on your run. I do not know what to say about seeing others out when running...I tend to just assume that whatever awkward happens is their fault/problem. haha. Of course it could not be me :)

    As far as form...I am not sure what I suggest. I tend to run better when I am not worried about form and am more engaged in being positive and just running because I enjoy being out there!

    ReplyDelete